Project Bugscope!

I have found with any learning activity, I am more drawn in to it and more likely to follow it through, if it holds an interest for me...so when reading through (the very well written) 'Minds on Fire: Open Education, the Long Tail, and Learning 2.0' by John Seely Brown and Richard P. Adler, whilst wondering which innovation to pursue, I saw 'Project bugscope'. As a child and to a certain extent now, insects and animals in general have held a fascination for me, so this project instantly caught my eye.

From the age of nine to when I was eighteen I lived in Brunei, and spent many many hours with my brother off in the jungle finding insects and animals. I remember my parents buying me a small microscope, and spending hours collecting 'samples' to look at. So the idea of the bugscope project is one I can see that I would have loved as a child.

Project bugscope began in 1999 and allowed KS12 students to send small creatures to the University of Illinois, and then via their computers control the electron microscope and have a look at the samples they had sent in. In terms of engagement and interest, and using technology, this seems a perfect idea and method for getting people interested, and involved in learning. In a write up of this project in 2011 by Scott Robinson et al they stated that 'During tours of the laboratory, we often describe Bugscope as “using insects and electron microscopy as a Trojan Horse to get kids interested in the possibility of science as a viable career choice.”' Link . I think this highlights the way technology can be used to great effect in getting people interested in ideas, techniques and in this area science, that they would normally have no, or limited access to.

This project ran several hundred sessions and while it allowed only one student at a time to 'drive' the microscope, must have allowed thousands of children to experience this technology that they possibly would have never had a chance to see otherwise.

Sadly in August 2015 this project ended, with the intention of using a new electron microscope when it went live again in 2016, however, as far as the website (and I can find) this project has not re-awoken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open education and me

Second post and a poem

OER...defining, using and (dis)engagement